GoneDragRacing.com

Top Notch Drag Racing Event Coverage Across the Northeast

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ORTC - The Night the Lights went out in Georgia - SGMP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:16 pm 
Pimp Status

Sorry guys, but due to travel plans, I was not able to stay for the finals on Sunday so there are no pics from that day.

Full picture galleries

I had the opportunity to take a trip with the Kasper & Christy team down to South Georgia Motorsports Park for the ORTC "When the Lights go out in Georgia" race. We flew down on Wednesday night, ahead of the bad weather, for a test session on Thursday and then the race beginning on Friday. Upon arrival to the track on early Thursday morning, the pits were already full of trailers and humming with activity. The race organizers were working non-stop all morning to get the racers parked, take car of tech cards, tech in, and get down to racing.

We saw cars pulling in from literally all over the country - New York, New Jersey, California, Texas, Ohio, you name it! For many race teams, this was the first race of the year so the pits were busy with activity getting cars ready. On top of that, a bunch of teams were fitting their cars for true ten five tires instead of the 10.5W's they are used to, ready to get their suspensions and tunes figured out during Thursday's test session. Mickey Thompson, a major sponsor of the race, had their trailer setup to show off their tires as well as sell and mount tires for racers on site. We had a good chance to peruse the pits and check out cars that we don't normally see in the Northeast!

Image Image Image Image

David Wolfe had everyone's jaws drop when he laid down a pass in the 4.50's on 315 drag radials Thursday, at the time was about a tenth faster than the closest competitor. He continued to better his times all weekend as he put more passes on the new ride. The track surface at SGMP was on kill; they were constantly dragging and spraying the track all day (and all weekend for that matter) in between classes, and whenever there was down time. It was very impressive from what we are used to up here!

Image Image Image Image

We saw some familiar faces from back home at this race.. along with Team Kasper, Dave Hance and Big Daddy Dwayne Gutridge were racing. In the stands keeping a close eye on the competition were Joe and Ed of J&E Performance, and drag radial champ Alex Vrettos.

Image Image Image Image

Racing action got busy on Friday, where two rounds of qualifying for all classes made it before they called it for the night. While us Yankee boys are used to the cold and probably would have raced til Midnight in tha tweather, down South they are not and racing suspended in the early evening. The track was still on kill like it was all weekend, we saw lots of quick passes and some killer wheelstands. Saturday morning brought about final qualifying rounds for Ultimate Street, 275 Drag Radial, 330 Outlaw Junior Dragster, and the Radial versus the World class. Open comp, 6.50, and 7.50 index was added to the program on Saturday and took up valuable time, causing the race to move into Sunday.

In the TRZ Motorsports Ultimate Street class, Brian Goss was doing quite well setting low ET for the race with a 4.98 pass. His teammate, Mike Freeman, took the win for the weekend running a 5.189 in the final to Bob Kurgan's 5.786. There were quite a few cars in this class sporting TRZ Motorsports parts, check out the galleries to view them all!

Image Image Image Image

Tony Pirez in his Camaro took home the win for the weekend in the BMF Extreme 275 Class. These cars were haulin ass down the track on small tires making some serious power. Troy put up a 4.917 on a bye run during eliminations, and in the finals took a holeshot win over Joe Morgan with a 5.000 to take the win.

Image Image Image Image

On to the big boys! Radial versus the world was an off the hook competition between drag radial equipped cars along with true 10.5 cars. David Wolfe continued on his successful test session on Thursday and dominated competition, taking the #1 qualifier spot. Not far behind him was Scotty Guadagno's nitrous powered beast. The local Kasper and Christy Kasper racing did not make the field during the 1st and 2nd round qualifiers, still trying to get the chassis figured out on the car that had never run the small tire before. With the expert help of Hank Hill and Steve Petty, Kid Kwik shot up to the #4 spot on Friday from the #34th spot. The entire qualifying field was in the 4.80s or quicker and was extremely tight between the 32 cars! David Wolfe and Scott Guadagno faced off in the finals, with Wolfe taking home the win with his consistent car and a record setting 4.471 @ 174.87mph pass. TJ Kasper notably took quite a distinction with a 178mph run on true 10.5s.

Image Image Image Image

Wade Mooney has posted the run sheets from every class here http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... p?t=220774

Big thanks to Donald for allowing us to cover the race! It was definitely a race to remember and we are proud to have been able to share the images of the race with everyone.

Also a big thanks to the Kasper and Christy family for the hospitality this weekend! Can't thank you guys enough for giving me a place to hang out, charge my batteries, and cook up some hot dogs on the grill.

Here are my favorite shots of the weekend:

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

GoneDragRacing.com Gallery

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:02 pm 

Post subject: Re: ORTC - The Night the Lights went out in Georgia - SGMP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:02 pm 
Renting Helmet

Incredible shots Seth! I'm so glad you were able to make it to the deep South. Bring me some White Castles next time please... :D

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ORTC - The Night the Lights went out in Georgia - SGMP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:59 am 
Pimp Status

John Fore III wrote:
Incredible shots Seth! I'm so glad you were able to make it to the deep South. Bring me some White Castles next time please... :D

Same to you man.. I'll try and remember the white castles for ya :)

GoneDragRacing.com Gallery

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail